4/16/09

First Veil by Julia Older


First Veil

I pulled the chador
down over my forehead
and took a step.
It slipped back.
I pulled it down
and tucked the corner
into my waistband.
Again it slipped.
I pulled it down
over my forehead,
pinning it in place
with one palm
under my chin.
It slipped over
one shoulder
showing my dress.
Quickly, I pulled it back.
But it gaped open
and fell down
over one shoulder.
I pulled the chador down
over my forehead.
Holding it down
with one palm
I held the edge
in my teeth.
Thus, I was to speak
to the learnéd men.

Julia Older is wearing her “First Veil” poem on the cover of Tahirih Unveiled (Turning Point Books, 2007), a novel-in-verse about early poet and women’s rights activist Tahirih of Persia. For a collaboration, NH linguist and fabric artist Rachel Lehr took a veil-length piece of her hand-dyed silk and Older’s poem to her Afghan Handwork Collective in Kabul; it returned a masterpiece embroidered in silver and gold. You can hear an audio clip of Julia reading Tahirih” from this award-winning collection (Independent Publisher 2008 Bronze Poetry Medal) and find other books by Older at http://www.appledorebooks.com/. Since Older co-walked and authored her first book about the Appalachian Trail with MacDowell Fellow novelist-photographer Steve Sherman, she has written full time in the foothills of Grand Monadnock.

-------------------
Poem appears in Connecticut Review 2004, Tahirih Unveiled (Turning Point Books, 2007.) Poem and photo used here with the permission of the poet. All rights reserved.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Wow! What a tragic, touching and inspiring commentary on the life of this heroic woman--and all those others whose voices have been squelched by male managed cultures. Thank you for introducing me to Tahirih through your moving poem.