There Are No Bears in This Bakery by Julia Sarcone-Roach (Knopf Books for Young Readers, 2019)
The creator of the New York Times bestselling The Bear Ate Your Sandwich
brings us another sly story of a hungry bear and a smooth-talking narrator.
A tough gumshoe of a cat--the name's Muffin--protects his territory: The Little Bear Bakery. But there are no bears here. Not on Muffin's watch.
One night, Muffin hears a suspicious noise. Mouse? Raccoon? Bat? Nope, not the usual suspects. But Muffin hears . . . growling. Could it be? Yup. A bear. Just a cub. Whose stomach is definitely growling. Muffin's got this case solved--clearly this bear needs some donuts.
In this wonderfully noir-tinged tale, Julia Sarcone-Roach gives us another funny story of a hungry bear in the wrong place at the right time. This tale is sly and sweet, with sprinkles on top.
About Julia Sarcone-Roach
Julia Sarcone-Roach grew up in Arlington, Virginia, studied film and animation at the Rhode Island School of Design, and now lives in Brooklyn, New York, where she paints pictures, eats sandwiches and looks for bears. Her website is https://www.rodeenliterary.com/julia-sarconeroach
Activities & Links
- Make your own paper plate bear: https://www.craftymorning.com/paper-plate-bear-craft-kids/
- Make your own bear mask: https://www.firstpalette.com/printable/bear-mask.html
- National Geographic Kids has a list of Black Bear facts: https://www.natgeokids.com/uk/discover/animals/general-animals/black-bear-facts/
- Lesson plans and activity ideas for this book: http://books4learning.blogspot.com/2019/03/there-are-no-bears-in-this-bakery-julia.html
- Make your own paper cupcakes (https://artsycraftsymom.com/cupcake-crafts-for-kids/) and paper doughnuts (https://www.craftsbycourtney.com/how-to-crafts/fun-donut-craft-for-kids/) for a mini bakery!
- Discussion question: What food do you eat when you are as hungry as a bear?
Post a Comment