- White Birch Books announced the 2009 Celebration of Books Gala featuring special guest Andre Dubus III, author of House of Sand and Fog and Garden of Last Days. The Gala event will be held on Tuesday, June 23, at the Red Jacket Mountain View Resort, and will feature a 3-course meal, a visit with Andre and a book signing. They will throw in some free books and some fun and games to round out the evening. Tickets are $40 per person or $300 per table of 8 and are available only at the bookstore. Proceeds from the ticket sales will go to the North Conway Library. White Birch Books is located at 2568 Main Street, North Conway, NH (603-356-3200)
- On Saturday, June 20, 2009 at 3 o'clock the NH State Library will host the Poetry Society of New Hampshire and its guests Walter Butts, New Hampshire Poet Laureate and Patricia Fargonoli, immediate past New Hampshire Poet Laureate. Both poets will read their work.
- NYT bestselling author Lisa Gardner will release her new book, The Neighbor later this month. White Birch Books will host a debut party for the book on Thursday, June 18, 2009 at 7 p.m., at the Lutheran Church across from the bookstore. White Birch Books is located at 2568 Main Street, North Conway, NH (603-356-3200)
- The Conway Public Library and Host Tom Diegoli are continue their monthly Open Mic series featuring Poetry, Acoustic Music, and Storytelling to be held on the 2nd Monday of every month, from 6:30-8:30PM, downstairs at the Library. Everyone is welcome to come and share, or just to listen. On Monday, June 8th, there will be a triple feature: Library’s June Artist of the Month will be Dawn Marion; Featured writers Poet Brad Marion, (Dawn’s husband); and Biker Poet Extraordinaire K. Peddlar Bridges. Rumor has it that Tom has a brand new story in his Scratch Wooley series, too....
According to Tom: "The Rules for the Open Mic will be: Max 5 minutes per performer. There will be a Sign-Up Sheet for all who would like to participate. Performers may be allowed more time but they must arrange it with Tom beforehand, time permitting. A second round may also be possible if time allows, so bring some extra material along, too. For more information, directions, etc., you can email Tom at (and please be sure to put “Open Mic” in the subject line to get past the spam filter) or you can call the Library at 447-5552."
- The Toadstool Bookshop in Peterborough is hosting readings this month with P. J. O'Rourke (Saturday, June 6th at 11am); Nancy Mellon (Saturday, June 13th at 11am); and Lita Judge (on Saturday, June 13th at 2pm).
- New Hampshire is kicking off the summer reading program, “Summertime…and the Reading is Easy.”
If you have book related NH news, please send me an email about it!