3/18/09

Clippings from the Blogosphere

    These are assorted items I came across in the book/library blogs I looked at this week. They are not generally specific to New Hampshire, but struck me as interesting. Please leave a comment, or send me an email and let me know if you think "Clippings" should become a regular feature on this blog.

  • An article from the Chronicle of Higher Education (3/13/09) about the dangers of making writers -- like Virginia Woolfe -- icons.

  • The New York Times posted an audio archive of author readings and interviews. The featured authors are mostly modern ones and include Russell Banks and John Irving. If you would rather listen to a President, Kurious Kitty pointed out recently that Roosevelt's fireside chats are available for your listening pleasure via the internet.
  • Library Journal's 2009 Movers & Shakers List includes Nancy J. Keane of Concord, NH. Congratulations Nancy!
  • A Dysfunctional Reading Quiz from the Guardian. As anyone who knows my tastes in novels could predict, I did very poorly on this quiz about dysfunctional families in literature.
  • An article from The Times (of London) about what we are reading in these troubled times. I'm not sure American readers are making all the same choices, but I agree that if you haven't read Fitzgerald recently, you should.
  • Why good pages are essential to a library.
  • On March 13th, 2009 the World Wide Web turned 20.
  • The Morning News and Powell's Books bring you the 5th annual Tournament of Books - a literary alternative (or supplement) to NCAA March Madness. Today's match is Home v. My Revolutions as judged by Witold Riedel.

No comments: