Thank You, Omu!
Author/Illustrator: Oge Mora
Publisher: Little, Brown Books for Young Readers (October 2, 2018)
Everyone in the neighborhood dreams of a taste of Omu's delicious stew! One by one, they follow their noses toward the scrumptious scent. And one by one, Omu offers a portion of her meal. Soon the pot is empty. Has she been so generous that she has nothing left for herself? Debut author-illustrator Oge Mora brings to life a heartwarming story of sharing and community in colorful cut-paper designs as luscious as Omu's stew, with an extra serving of love. An author's note explains that "Omu" (pronounced AH-moo) means "queen" in the Igbo language of her parents, but growing up, she used it to mean "Grandma." This book was inspired by the strong female role models in Oge Mora's life.
About Oge Mora
Book Chat: https://vimeo.com/286206752
Big Ideas: Gratitude. Kindness. Acts of Generosity. Grandparents
- How does setting play a part in a story?
- Could this have happened in a rural setting?
- What foods remind you of your family, neighborhood or culture?
- The author called her grandmother Omu. What are some other names for a grandparent?
Vocabulary: Seasoned, Supper, Simmered, Block, Mayor
- Game of Synonyms: When Omu tells them about her stew, they each reply with different words (delectable, tasty, yummy) that all mean the same thing. Introduce a thesaurus. Try replacing words in sentences.
- This is a perfect book to act out with a class or group.
- Create a gratitude jar.
- A Gift from Abuela by Cecelia Ruiz (Candlewick, 2018)
- Quiet by Tommie dePaola (Simon & Schuster Books for Young Readers, 2018)
- You are Not My Friend, But I Miss You by Daniel Kirk (Abrams Books for Young Readers, 2014)
- Rabbit’s Gift by George Shannon; illustrated by Laura Dronzek (Harcourt, 2007)
- Thankful by Eileen Spinelli; illustrations by Archie Preston (Zonderkidz, 2015)
- Thankful Book by Todd Parr (Little, Brown, 2012)
- Bear Says Thanks by Karma Wilson; illustrated by Jane Chapman (Margaret K. McElderry Books, 2012)
- The Thank You Book by Mo Willems (Hyperion Books for Children, 2016)