Saffron Ice Cream
Author/Illustrator: Rashin Kheiriyeh
Publisher: Arthur A. Levine Books (May 29, 2018)
Rashin is excited about her first visit to the beach in her family's new home. On the way there, she remembers what beach trips were like in Iran, the beautiful Caspian Sea, the Persian music, and most of all, the saffron ice cream she shared with her best friend, Azadeh. But there are wonderful things in this new place as well -- a subway train, exciting music... and maybe even a new friend!
About Rashin Kheiriyeh
Book Preview by Author: https://vimeo.com/247608982
Book Animation: https://vimeo.com/299230600
Big Ideas: Immigration. Celebrating Differences & Similarities.
- When you try something new for the first time, describe your feelings?
- If you moved to a new place, how would you feel and what would you miss?
- What are some good ways to make friends?
Vocabulary: Halim, “Persian music,” Subway, Islamic, Saffron
Places: Iran, Caspian Sea, Brooklyn, Coney Island
- Talk and practice ways to meet and talk to new people in their community.
- Make maps of your school or neighborhood that features fun places to visit.
Other Links and Resources:
- Teaching Tolerance: Making Connections During Read-Aloud
- Learning to Give: Friends Lesson Plan
- Resources for your classroom from Read AcrossAmerica
- Explore Iran with National Geographic Kids
- Scholastic Reads Podcast: Journey toAmerica-Sharing Stories of Survival and Hope featuring Rashin Kheiriyeh
- Recipe for No-churn Persian ice cream withsaffron and rose water
- Word searches and memory games from RIF
- Here I Am by Patti Kim; pictures by Sonia Sánchez (Capstone Young Readers, 2014)
- I’m New Here by Anne Sibley O’Brien (Charlesbridge, 2015)
- King of the Sky by Nicola Davies; illustrated by Laura Carlin (Candlewick, 2017)
- Margaret and Margarita / Margarita y Margaret by Lynn Reiser (Greenwillow Books, 1993)
- My Two Blankets by Irena Kobald and Freya Blackwood (Houghton Mifflin Harcourt, 2015)
- Sakura’s Cherry Blossoms by Robert Paul Weston and Misa Saburi (Tundra Books, 2018)
- The Sandwich Swap by Her Majesty Queen Rania Al Abdullah with Kelly DiPucchio; illustrated by Tricia Tusa (Disney-Hyperion, 2010)
- The Seeds of Friendship by Michael Foreman (Candlewick, 2015)