6/18/14

Q&A: Barbara Delinsky



Barbara Delinsky, photo by Kerry Brett    

There are a lot of wonderful writers living in our state, some full-time, some part-time.  As the Director of the NH Center for the Book I get the opportunity to talk to many of them. This interview series of Q&As with New Hampshire authors here on Book Notes lets me share that experience a bit with my blog readers.  

Q.  If someone hasn’t read your work yet, where should they start?


I always say that my best book is my next one.  Since they can’t buy my next one yet, how about the most recently published?  That would be Sweet Salt Air, out now in hardcover and available in paperback in June 2014.



Q.  When did you first think of yourself as a writer?


Once I had sold seven (7) books, I realized I had a career going.  At that point, I got an agent and officially “became” a writer.


Q.  How did you end up living in NH?


My home in NH is an escape from the rest of my life, which is lived in the city.  The good news is that a two-hour drive gets me there.


Q.  Where do you like to write?


I have an office above the garage.  It’s bright; it’s airy; it’s quiet.


Q.  How important is place in your writing?


Crucial.  Since I set my novels in New England, my readers have come to look for this.  In many of my books, place is a character in and of itself. 

Q.  What do you do when you aren’t writing?


I read, I knit, and I spend time with friends and family.


Q.  What’s the best piece of advice (writing or otherwise) you were ever given?


Be yourself.  I don’t know who said this to me, and it certainly isn’t a unique bit of advice.  But by following it, I’ve become more creative in my writing, more unique in my appearance, and more confident in my personal life.



Q.  What books do you love, and what about them speaks to you?


Honestly?  I love books about the paranormal!  If I were to read about the economy or politics or fatal illness, I’d be totally depressed.  They’re too real!  Vampires, werewolves, witches,  gods, demons – these are far less real and, therefore, a greater escape for me.


Q.  What are you working on now?


My next book.  No title yet, but it’s about a mother and daughter who are pitted against each other professionally in a culture that worships youth.  It’s set for publication in the summer of 2015. I’m also promoting the paperback edition of Sweet Salt Air which just came out.



Q.  What do you want to share that I neglected to ask about?


What is the future of the book?  Books have always been a haven for me.  Whether through paranormal fiction, biography, or mainstream literature – to put aside one’s own worries for even a short time and disappear into a book is a joy.  It doesn’t matter whether books are in physical form, e-book form, library rentals, or audiobook form, they aren’t going away.  Our job is simply to teach each new generation the joy of reading.  I’m guessing that as our world grows more and more complex, the value of reading will only increase.

You can learn more about Barbara and her work at
http://barbaradelinsky.com/ or on Facebook at https://www.facebook.com/bdelinsky.

No comments: