3/13/14

Book of the Week #11

A Separate Peace by John Knowles (New York : Macmillan, c1959)

"I went back to the Devon School not long ago, and found it looking oddly newer than when I was a student there fifteen years before. It seemed more sedate than I remembered it, more perpendicular and strait-laced, with narrower windows and shinier woodwork, as though a coat of varnish had been put over everything for better preservation. But, of course, fifteen years before there had been a war going on. Perhaps the school wasn't as well kept up in those days; perhaps varnish, along with everything else, had gone to war.  
I didn't entirely like this glossy new surface, because it made the school look alike a museum, and that's exactly what it was to me, and what I did not want it to be. In the deep, tacit way in which feeling becomes stronger than thought, I had always felt that the Devon School came into existence the day I entered it, was vibrantly real while I was a student there, and then blinked out like a candle the day I left. 
Now here it was after all, preserved by some considered hand with varnish and wax." (p. 1)

John Knowles based this classic novel of the dark side of adolescence on his own experiences as a student at Philips Exeter Academy.

No comments: