5/4/11

Book of the Week #18

The Enormous Egg by Oliver Butterworth; illustrated by Louis Darling (Little Brown and Company, 1956)

In case you were thinking that interesting things only happen in big cities, here is a classic children's book to prove otherwise.

"My name is Nate Twitchell, but I can't help that. It's kind of a funny name, but I've had it for twelve years, and I'm pretty much used to it by now. And I guess a lot of other folks have got used to it too, after the thing that happened up here in Freedom last summer. That's the name of the town I live in--Freedom, New Hampshire. It's just a little town, with a few houses all along one street, and a store and a church, and not much else. Oh yes, and a school. I almost forgot that. We're only about three miles from the Maine state line, but Pop says Freedom's just as much a part of our state as Concord is, and somebody has to live near the state of Maine." (p. 3)
Author Oliver Butterworth attended Dartmouth. He and illustrator Louis Darling both lived mainly in Connecticut.

No comments: