3/26/07

Writer's Day 2007

The Center for the Book was invited to have a table at the NH Writer's Project's Writers' Day and I am very glad that I went. It was a great day to meet lots of writers and introduce them to the Center -- through newsletters, bookmarks, and magic pencils -- as well as to talk with people from many of the other organizations that make up New Hampshire's literary community. Thanks to connections I made at this great event I lined up a judge for next year's Letters About Literature competition, met the parent of one of our previous winners, arranged for several articles that will appear in future issues of Book Notes, discovered that there is a need for a resource to help teen writers find out about programs and competitions they can get involved in (I think the Center can do something about this -- stay tuned for details), and discovered enough interesting NH-related books to keep me in Book-of-the-Week postings until at least May.

And all that was in addition to hearing Jane Yolen's keynote on revision and the showcase presented by emcee Rick Agran which featured Jim Collins, David Emerson, Cleopatra Mathis, Deidre Randall, and Jane Yolen.

I heard from participants that the workshops and pitch sessions were excellent as well. It is a wonderful event and I would encourage all NH writers to check it out next spring.

No comments: