9/19/12

Book of the Week #38

10 1/2 Things No Commencement Speaker Has Ever Said by Charles Wheelan (NY: W.W. Norton, 2012)

Charles Wheelan is an economist, probably best known for his book Naked Economics: Undressing the Dismal Science, and graduated from Dartmouth in 1988. In 2011 he was invited to speak at Class Day at Dartmouth and this book is the speech he gave there. It is funny, it is true, it is full of much more useful advice than my commencement speakers offered.
  • "At crucial points in life you may want to remind yourself, if I can resist ringing the bell now, I will get more marshmallows later." (p. 50)
  • On marriage: "I am telling you that you are getting a professional teammate for life. So pick wisely." (p. 42)
  • "Your parents don't want what is best for you. They want what is good for you, which is not always the same thing." (p. 90)
  • "I try to ask myself, is the journey still worthwhile if the mountain turns out to be enshrouded in fog at the top?" (p. 106)
  • "Don't try to be great. Just be solid." (p. 116)

No comments: